Golden Visa Portugal
Golden Visa Portugal - Golden Residence Permit
Since 9 October 2012, foreign citizens wishing to enter and reside in Portugal have been able to do so under a Golden Visa/Golden Residence Permit rule. It is a fast track for foreign investors from non-EU countries to obtain a fully valid residency permit in Portugal (“Golden Visa”).
Third country citizens attempting residency under the same laws were subject to vague regulations. As of October 2012, the acquisition of an immovable Portugal asset entitles those individuals to a residency title.
Various investment methods and levels of investment will grant legalisation to foreign citizens from origin countries that are not European Union members:
- Produce an investment operation with an operating period of at least five years and a minimum acquisition amount of € 500,000.
- Acquisition of property above € 350,000 or properties more than 30 years old or located in areas of urban renovation or regeneration zones.
- Transfer at least €1 million euro to a Portuguese Bank account.
- Transfer of Funds above € 350,000 for research activities.
- Transfer of Funds above € 250,000 for artistic or cultural activities.
- Transfer of Funds above € 500,000 for capitalization of small and medium size companies.
- Incorporate or create a company that will generate at least 10 new job positions.
The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Ministry of Foreign Affairs are in charge of regulating the above options. Any concerns, questions or matters of compliance will be resolved by a joint decision of those two ministries.
Since the scheme began in 2012, the Portuguese government has issued a total of 5,717 investors and 9,559 family members approved up to the end of January 2018, with property still being the investment of choice of the majority of the investors. Here at Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Portugal Property we have overseen a very large proportion of those visas, helping our clients gain Golden Visas every day of the year, which we are very proud of. We are Portugal's leading Golden Visa real estate agency.
Our team will happily guide any client through the buying process and lead them towards getting a Portuguese residency.